Selecting the right door system for your shower space is vital to enable ease of use accessing your frameless glass shower screen over it’s lifetime. For many years, A&D Frameless Glass has installed countless frameless glass shower screens across Sydney and we always recommend a hinged door over a sliding door where possible. This is because a hinged door is:
1. More flexible in terms of design.
2. Less water egress
3. More cost effective
4. Less visual hardware required.
1. A hinged door is more flexible in terms of design:
– Whatever size and shape of your screen, a frameless glass hinged door can be easily accommodated. On the other hand, a sliding door will only work best where the front of the shower screen is 1150mm or more. As your average shower screen door width is 600mm, there needs to be approx. 600mm of fixed panel for the door to slide behind, for ease of access into your shower space. (There are no 3 panel sliding frameless glass shower screens on the market). *NB: there is also approx 20mm of overlap between the fixed panel and the sliding door panel.
2. Less water egress with a hinged door:
– Although water egress is still possible with a hinged door, a sliding shower screen is likely to ‘leak’ more as a waterseal can not be fitted to the bottom of the door due to the sliding shower screen’s floor guide. This results in water cascading down the glass and tracking out underneath. A waterbar can not be fitted either due to the floor guide. Also, as there is approx 20mm overlap gap between the fixed panel and the sliding door, water released from the shower rose may make its way through this 20mm gap.
3. A hinged door is more cost effective.
– As there is less hardware required, there is less cost.
4. Less hardware required for a hinged door.
– There is less hardware required for a hinged door. All that’s required is a pair of hinges and a door knob. A sliding shower screen system requires a track system across the front of the entire shower screen, a trolley system for the sliding door, fixing brackets for the track system and a floor guide.
If you require a sliding track system, we use the FGS OPTO sliding track system: https://fgs.com.au/products/frameless-showers/opto-slide/v2-opto-kit-pss.html
If you would like to know more about frameless glass shower screens, please visit our website at www.showerscreen.com.au
We look forward to hearing from you soon!!